Monday, July 11: 1Corinthians 9- Not hindering the gospel.

The sentence stood out as if it were highlighted; On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ (12b).

We put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ… it stuck to me like darts to a dart board. Paul would put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ. That’s why he worked to pay for his expenses when he could have expected the churches to pay for his living.

Then a few sentences later Paul explains further what he means. Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings (19-23).

So when he is with Jews, he lives under the Jewish law to make those with whom he is living comfortable. When his target audience is ‘weak’ (probably a buzz word for people who believe in idols, etc.) he won’t eat meat so as to not make them uncomfortable. Paul adapts to his context to have the best possibility to share the gospel of Jesus.

Paul will not press his rights but intentionally surrenders them so that we can present the most connecting and infecting witness possible.

I sat thinking about Paul, realizing how much growth I still have. I wondered about my life. Do I live in ways that hinder the gospel or diminish my witness? Do I, Lord?

Those were my meditation points for today, I offer them to you for your contemplation and meditation.

Lord, I aspire to live so that my life in no way hinders the gospel of Jesus. Holy Spirit, show me areas of necessary change. Change You seek and You desire in my life. In Jesus’ name and for the advancement of God’s kingdom, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment