Saturday, July 23: Proverbs 4- Guard your heart

 ‘Wisdom and understanding’… these are the catch words for the chapter. Grow in them, honor them, pursue them, and live by them… such is my brief of this chapter. We should all remember, of course, that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

Building on this foundation, verse 23 says, Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.

I began meditating on the ‘heart.’ It describes the seat of emotions… the place from which we love and we hate. Guard that place. I must make sure my love grows and doesn’t wither… love for the Lord, love for my wife, love for my family and so on. I should monitor my emotions, and not let them rule my life but use them as indicators of the things rumbling and tumbling within me.

The ‘heart’ is used to describe the center of a person. I need to guard my center and my core, who I am in the depth of my being. Guard those inner places…

The heart, by some measurements, is the most important muscle in the body. Although moving beyond the intended meaning of the text, I thought about what it takes to keep my heart physically healthy, so that I may give all my strength to the Lord…

Guard my heart, guard your heart… that is the quiet place the Lord took me this morning as I spent time with Him and His Word.

Jesus, thank you for my heart. Lord Jesus, I pledge my heart to You. Lord of my life and Lord of my heart, I am Yours. Lead me and direct me that I may follow Your way and grow in Your wisdom and understanding. Amen and Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment