Saturday, July 9: 1Corinthians 8 - Knowledge & Love

To our information world, Paul makes a staggering statement: Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up (1). He then proceeds to show how someone with knowledge can destroy the faith of someone with less knowledge. And yet if the same knowledgeable person also possessed love, s/he would not destroy the faith of the less knowledgeable person.

A-Ha! I had one of those ‘a-ha’ moments. Originally I thought it was knowledge verses love but I was wrong. Paul’s equation is not knowledge vs. love, it is knowledge and love (or knowledge vs. knowledge + love). Certainly Paul wants believers to grow in knowledge. Knowledge is essential to growth (read Romans 12:1-2), but knowledge needs to be tempered by love and care for others or else it can destroy others.

So as I grow in my discipleship I should be evaluating myself both facets of life… Knowledge –am I learning more and more about God and His scriptures and how they apply to my life and living? and Love –applying the spirit, care and love of God to those around me.

Knowledge says ‘know the scriptures’…

Love says ‘live so as to build and help others grow… sacrificing self for others even!’

I am better at growing in knowledge than love… Lord God, help me develop love alongside of knowledge. Help me become a more ‘Jesus-like’ person rather than simply a more knowledgeable person. Help me, Lord, to willingly lay my rights aside that others might be loved and grow in You. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment