Friday, January 3: Joshua 3- Amazing.

What a way to begin!

There are certain dramatic moments and miracles in the Bible that amaze and this is one of them. These Israelites have never seen anything like it. Born during the wilderness, wandering for years, they heard stories of the Red Sea crossing. But they were not there. They did witness military victories, but nothing like this. They did receive manna every day, but that is all they knew. They never knew planting and harvesting, so quite possibly, it was none-to-special for them to harvest manna every day. But a river stopping and doing so when the priests touched the water, that’s a miracle to remember!

I love the line, they crossed over on dry land. I wonder what that line specifically means. I like to walk the beach at the waters’ edge. When a wave goes out, the sand is wet and cushy. Was the river bottom like that or was it firm and dry, like dry land? I don’t know and it doesn’t really matter… but I do wonder.

More importantly, this miracle was a loud and clear communication to the people of the Land that Israel, protected by her God, was coming. One map I consulted showed the town of Adam about 20 miles upstream. All the people for those 20 miles saw the river dry up instantly and the people of Adam watched as the waters piled up (16). What did those people think? What did Jericho think realizing that Israel was crossing right by them?!

This was a miracle for Israel but it was also a broadcast to the peoples of the Land.

It was also a communication for Joshua. Like his predecessor Moses, Joshua’s leadership was established by a great water crossing. What this did for Joshua’s faith must have been amazing.

Thinking about this event has increased my profound awe of God. In one action, He communicates so effectively to many different people. The more I pondered, the more I found praise of God for who He is and what He does rising within me…

Lord, I found myself remembering many things I have seen You do, things in my life and things around me for others. Thank You for being real and for really being interested in Your  people. Thank You that Your miraculous power is available and on display as You advance Your kingdom around the world.

I pray for missionaries and brothers and sisters who are on the vanguard of Your kingdom.  I pray for, people who are on the front lines, so to speak. I pray that You provide breakthroughs and miracles that advance Your name into presently unreached areas and people groups. Praise be to You, Lord God Almighty. Amen!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment