Saturday, January 11: Joshua 10- Miracles, might, obedience and persistence.

Thanks to the Lord, His leading and power, Israel continues to subdue the land and capture its inheritance.

There is, however, no set formula for success. Each victory, each advance is fueled by the Lord, but the particulars for each campaign change. Israel cannot be lulled into a pattern, thinking all we have to do is “x” and we win. They win when they keep communication open with the Lord and do as He directs for that particular campaign.

In this chapter alone Israel experiences a great miracle. Has there ever been a day before or since when the sun stood still in the sky almost a full 24 hours? (13-14). But even before this miracle, God directed the Israeli army to march all through the night and then to engage in a battle for the full 24-hr day the sun never set. This took extraordinary dedication and strength by the men of Israel’s army. This was also the day Joshua found the enemy kings hold up in a cave. Instead of halting the battle, Joshua captured the kings but pursued the remainder of their armies. Obedience and more dedication!

Persistence is evident in verse 29-43 as Joshua and Israel continue their campaign throughout southern cities.

In all of this, God was with His people and they were with Him! It is a two-way street of listening and obedience.

I realized as I pondered this chapter that following Jesus is much like the life Joshua and the army lived. I need to constantly be connected to the Lord, listening and obeying. As I do, each day will vary. Some days faith in Jesus calls for long hours and extraordinary dedication. Some days require valiant effort. Others need God to show up in miraculous and unexpected ways for the things God wants me to accomplish to be completed. And still, other days God might ask of me something very different and out of my comfort zone.

When I wake I do not know what the day will bring. Listening and obedience is essential every day and all the day long.

Joshua, thanks for the lessons this morning.

Lord, I am Yours today.  What would you have me do and when? Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment