Saturday, January 4: Joshua 4- Reminders of God's wonders.

I find something special about the account of taking the stones from the middle of the Jordan and making an altar or maker of the event. It is good to remember what God has done. But the stone memorial was more than a memory device for those who crossed the Jordan. It was also a curiosity piece so that future generations would ask what it was and then people would have the perfect opportunity to tell the story to younger generations.

In the future, when your children ask you, 'What do these stones mean?' tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever" (6-7).

What a great idea…

I started thinking about markers we have to tell God’s story…

My wife collects crèches. We have them from many parts of the world. We have fancy ones and ones for play. Some day, when we have grandchildren, we hope these crèches will be a way to tell our grandchildren the story of Jesus’ birth.

My church has 2 distinctive crosses… one outside the main door and one right in front of the pulpit on the platform. Sometimes these crosses give an opportunity to tell people the story of Jesus’ atonement. (Admittedly though, because the cross is so common a symbol, it doesn’t often attract the curiosity I imagine it once had.)

I am wondering what I might do to create some unique visuals that might allow me to share the story of God with others…

If you have an original idea, please email it to me…

Lord, telling Your story in creative and visual ways, creating markers that incite curiosity by new comers or future generations is such a great idea. But honestly, I don’t have much creativity in this department. Help me to come up with some so that I can enhance my telling of Your story.

I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment