Wednesday, January 8: Joshua 7- A leaders role.

As the account of Achan’s sin unfolded I found myself wondering, should Joshua have known? The last sentence of verse 1 kept replaying in my thoughts. So the LORD's anger burned against Israel (1b).

I am not wondering if Joshua, as leader, should have known one of his privates stole something. Rather I’m wondering if Joshua, as leader, should have known that God’s anger burned against Israel. Did Joshua get cocky after the Jericho win and fail to seek the Lord before taking on Ai?

The text is silent on this. Joshua did handle the situation appropriately once it came to his attention. But I am still wondering if Joshua missed a step or missed an indicator from the Lord before he sent men to attack Ai.

I am not trying to blame Joshua for the loss of 36 men in the battle of Ai. I guess I am wondering if leaders have a greater responsibility to seek and in turn be with the Lord more than the average person.

And so I wonder.

James 3:1 comes to mind. Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. Does the ‘judge more strictly’ indicate that leaders have a higher level of accountability? And so I wonder…

No answers from the Lord today, just a lot of wondering.

Father, Spirit, Son, as I wonder today about leaders and responsibility and other things, please speak. Answer the wonderings of mine that will move my faith deeper. Keep me pondering other wonderings where the added thought will drive my faith deeper.

Lord, lead me to places of deep trust, deeper obedience, deeper connection and deeper love for You. This I prayer in Your mighty name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment