Monday, January 13: Joshua 11- One final battle, for now.

Joshua chronicles the final battles as Israel secures the northern portion of the land. God is with them and the victories are decisive. Plunder fills their coffers as they wield the sword of God’s judgment against the people of the Land.

Years of battle are coming to a close, soon the inheritance will be deeded out and the people can settle into living in their land.

I thought about their years of battle. Leaving families, life in harms way, long marches, and lonely nights in the field or exhausted after battle.

I want God’s blessings but don’t often think about working for it. I want God just to give it to me. Yet, here and throughout Joshua, God expected His people to work for land He would give them. And God constantly tested their obedience battle after battle.

There is a lesson in this for me. God may (often does) require me to work for the blessings He will give.

I long for maturity… Daily spending in time in God’s Word; listening for His leading and following God’s voice are part of the works I need to do to grow in maturity.

I long for patience… God often puts me in situations that test my patience so that I can grow in patience.

And so my life with Jesus goes. He teaches and leads me in to situations where I need to flex my faith muscles and as I do, I grow in faith.

Thank You, Jesus, for being with me. I pray that my life makes a difference for Your kingdom. Teach me what I need to know so that I can be effective for your kingdom, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment