Thursday, January 2: Joshua 2- God at work between the lines.

Some days as I read God’s Word, my heart and thoughts latch on to specifics, a particular incident here, a comment or phrase there. Today was different. I found myself considering God’s work in the larger picture; the things God was doing behind the scenes to bring about the outcome He desired.

For example, the two spies happening to connect with Rahab, who apparently was sympathetic to them.  He was wise enough to come up with a plan on the fly to keep the spies from harm.

Another ‘God-working’ was that the people of Jericho were talking about the Hebrews and all their God had done for them. Some of the things Rahab mentioned that were being talked about on the streets, happened over 40 years ago!

Then Rahab’s plan worked and the spies, after almost a week of hiding, made it back to Israel safe and sound.

Too often in life I am so focused on the here and now, I miss the BIGGER picture, the many ways God has been at work for years… decades… longer, orchestrating events for His glory and the advance of His kingdom.

First thing, I sat in awe of God today and the way He works often quietly in the background.

Another thing I pondered is that I am never sure how a word spoken or our life lived might be impacting someone and we don’t even know it.

In the midst of these thoughts a whisper came… “Live so that your life points to Me. When you do, I can use your life to make a positive difference in other lives…”

Lord, I pray that my life in Your hands does make a difference. So that in small or big ways, You are able to use me as You used unnamed spies or the prostitute Rahab. All to Your glory Lord.

Lord, as this new year gets started, I offer my life to You as a Romans 12:1-2 offering. May how I live be a fragrant offering to You, my Lord and King, Savior and God. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment