Monday, January 6: Joshua 5- Pledges made; Promises kept.

What an interesting chapter. If I think about it from Joshua and the people’s perspective, I see promises made. Then again if I look from God’s perspective, I notice promises kept.

Here is what I saw in the texts.

Circumcision and the celebration of the Passover involve pledges and promises made by the people to God. In circumcision, the people pledge fidelity to the Lord. Faithfulness brings blessing, unfaithfulness curses. In circumcision the people are shouting, “We are Yours, O Lord!” Celebrating the Passover, the people are recalling God’s faithfulness and saying only by the Blood of the Lamb are we saved. The eating of unleaven bread is a sign of fidelity to the Lord, “We will do as You say, our Lord.”

Flip to God’s perspective. The chapter opens with the peoples of the Land shrinking in terror before the Lord because of the miraculous crossing of the Jordan. God promised to go before them and He has! Then we have manna stopping only after the people have eaten the fruit of the Land. Again, this is a promise kept by God. He sustained them by manna and now that they are in the Land.  They eat of its bounty and no longer need manna. A promise kept.

This chapter speaks to me of my life, too. Pledges and promises made to God and promises kept by God.

God is always faithful to His promises. I am less so. And yet God’s love is great, far greater than I deserve.

Praise be to the Lord! God, my God is faithful. As He was to Joshua and the people of the OT, so He is to me and the people of the NT. Praise be to the Lord…

 

A second reminder. I must be vigilant to the pledges I have made to the Lord…

Lord, I run hot and cold. I am faithful and faithless. Forgive me, Lord, when I turn from You. Restore me, Lord, that my mouth might praise You and my life be a worship offering to You.

Through Jesus, my Lord, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment