Monday, January 20: Joshua 17- Working the system, or at least trying to.

I am confused by the tribes of Joseph –Manasseh & Ephraim. At one point they are not strong enough to oust the Canaanites who occupy some of the cities in their inheritance. Yet the Manassites were not able to occupy these towns, for the Canaanites were determined to live in that region. However, when the Israelites grew stronger, they subjected the Canaanites to forced labor but did not drive them out completely (12-13).

Yet later in the same chapter these tribes are complaining that they need more space because they are so big. Joshua notes that they are both numerous and powerful. But Joshua said to the house of Joseph--to Ephraim and Manasseh--"You are numerous and very powerful. You will have not only one allotment  but the forested hill country as well. Clear it, and its farthest limits will be yours; though the Canaanites have iron chariots and though they are strong, you can drive them out" (17-18).

So which is it? Were they numerous and powerful?  And if so, why couldn’t they defeat the Canaanites?

I never figured out how to sort this out, but it did get me thinking. We are not always consistent as people. One day we can be acting big and strong, and the next asking for help. As I think about this I wonder, “Is our ‘act’ what will get us the most from whomever we are speaking to or working with?” We humans are good at ‘working the system’ to get our way.

Could Ephraim and Manasseh just be trying to get the most inheritance?

Whatever the actual situation with the sons of Joseph, this chapter reminds me that I can try to ‘work the system’ with people and even with God. I might not ‘lie’ but I don’t necessarily tell the whole truth. And what I leave out tends to make my case stronger.

I am seeing how duplicitous I can be…

Oh, God, You are exposing me for who I am; a man who desperately needs a Savior. A Savior who can save me from my selfish and sin-filled ways.

Lord, I fool myself sometimes into thinking I am pretty good, as if being pretty good earns me something. It is mornings like this that remind me how unrighteous I am behind the good acting veneer!

It is mornings like this that remind me how much I need You and how much You have done for me. I am left humbled and blessing You, my Lord God.

Praise be to You for Your grace and mercy and love. Through Jesus, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment