Friday, November 27: Matthew 11- .

When asked by John’s disciples if Jesus was the One whom God was sending, Jesus responded by citing His deeds.

Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me” (4-6).

My first thought was how interesting Jesus’ response was. He didn’t cite what He taught or believed, He cited his actions! How true I thought, it is our actions that communicate what we believe. Consistent integrated people live what they believe. As the common present day proverb puts it, “Actions speak louder than words.” Jesus apparently agreed that actions do speak louder than words.

Next I went back to Jesus’ words and pondered what they might say to me about how I am to live as one who professes faith in Jesus. Even as I began to ponder I was confronted with the fact that to the best of my remembrance I have never done any of the 5 first indicators Jesus mentioned.  Does this mean that I am not a faithful Christ follower?

I don’t think so I believe God still heals today and that God uses people like me to execute His healing in our world.  But I have not had the honor to be used by God to heal a blind or lame person.

So, how do I process this? One, I am not the Messiah. I am a representative for Him and I only get to do what He asks me to do.  Two, this is not the only command Jesus gives, so I cannot reduce faithfulness to obedience to these verses only.

Still verses 4-6 challenge me. Do they challenge you?

Lord, show me Your way; how You want me to live. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment