Monday, November 30: Matthew 13- Sorting out the kingdom.

A number of the parables about the kingdom of heaven included a sorting of the good from the bad at the end that I felt compelled to think on the sorting.

Verse 30: Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.

Verse 30 explained, The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels. “As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age. The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear (37-43).

Verses 47-50:  “Once again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away. This is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

There will be a sorting out by God at the end. The righteous, those who live in line with God the Father, will enjoy life with God. Those who are evil, anyone who causes sin or does evil, will be thrown into the fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Whatever this punishment is, it is NOT good!

Certainly these verses are a warning to those who hear them… a warning to examine whether or not we are on the Lord’s side. Jesus spoke these words so that people would think, “Am I living the way God wants a person to live?”

Quite naturally I spent my remaining time with the Lord answering that question for myself. You would be wise to do the same…

Lord, there is no way I can ‘justify myself.’ I fall on Your mercy and grace. I love You. I do try to follow You, but I am FAR from perfect. I sin and screw up repeatedly. I beg Your forgiveness and pray for strength from You to live for You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment