Thursday, November 5: 2Timothy 4- Real people.

Sometimes I forget that the people on the pages of the Bible are real people. Sometimes they seem to be mythical people who live lives above those of us who are mere humans.

Reading Paul’s autobiographical closing to his letter was a helpful reminder that the apostle Paul was a real person who lived a real life.

At a trying time Paul needed friends near him. Being unmarried Paul didn’t have family so friends were his closest relations and he needed them and their support as his trials were proceeding.

Paul was alone in part because he sent some associates on missions here and there. But then others deserted him in his hour of need. Paul graciously holds no ill will toward them.

We know, too, that Paul was significantly harmed by Alexander. Details aren’t given, but Paul warns his friend Timothy to beware of this man.

It seems that Paul didn’t own much but apparently he left, either intentionally or forgot, his cloak and some books in Troas. He asks Timothy to bring them to him.

As I thought about these details, Paul the person came alive to me. He was a man on a mission and even when he was in trouble he sent associates to continue the mission rather than to remain and attend to him. Paul knew the sting of being abandoned and the pain of direct attacks of those who opposed his message.

On the human side Paul either generously left his books and cloak as a temporary help for others or to lighten his load while traveling or he had a forgetful streak. Whatever the reason, who of us haven’t done something like this?

What gets me is that God used real people like Paul to advance His kingdom. And if God used real people in the past then God can use a real person like me (and you) to do the same today. I don’t have to be some superhero Christian to be used by God. All I need to do is avail myself to the Lord to be used by Him…

What a great thought to start a Thursday.

Lord, Here I am… use me for Your will today. If You need me to speak, my mind and mouth are Yours to use. If service is needed, I offer you my hands and feet. Use me, Lord, as You will. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment