Friday, November 6: Psalm 68- A father to the fatherless.

There are many descriptions of God in the Scriptures. Some are direct statements; God is love (John 4:8 & 16), for an example. Often, however, descriptions of God come in the form of word pictures. This Psalm has a wonderful word picture in verses 5 and 6.

A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land.

I sat with those words before me and listened, imagined and pondered… what this tells me about God.

God cares for the powerless. God defends those who have no earthly defender. God steps in to help where we humans step upon to hurt.

As I considered this characteristic of God I thought, as his people we are to manifest godly characteristics in our lives. We –people who follow Jesus –are to care for the powerless. We are to defend those who others seek to put down. We are to step in and help when other people seek to step on those who have no defender.

Well, it is much easier to observe this and to write about this than it is to live this…

God is challenging me to up my behavior and my dedication to Him and those He loves…

Father, I need help, and lots of it, because defending the down and out, the stepped upon or the over-looked does not come easily to me. I need an infusion of Your Holy Spirit to build Your character in me. Lord, I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment