Thursday, November 12: Psalm 73- Nothing is worth risking eternity with the Lord.

The words of the psalmist connected immediately with me. His prayer opening could be mine.

Surely God is good to [His people],

to those who are pure in heart.

But as for me, my feet had almost slipped;

I had nearly lost my foothold.

For I envied the arrogant

when I saw the prosperity of the wicked (1-3).

I have envied those who are rich in this world. Sometimes when the lottery announces some ridiculous 100 million jackpot I think, “Oh, I should get a ticket. Just think of all the good I could do with the money.” But then as my daydream continues, I find more of my moments dreaming are spent thinking about things I would like, rather than giving the money away. I am tempted by riches.

And when I come back to my senses, I shudder. My daydreams have been all about me and how I can be secure. My faith has to kick in, reminding me that my security is not in ME, it is in the Lord. I wonder, ‘If I had great riches would I drift away from the Lord?’ This thought scares me.

Nothing, no good thing, on this side of eternity is worth risking eternity with the Lord. Earthly riches or luxuries do not indicate spiritual blessing.

Having returned to my spiritual moorings (thank you Lord for bringing me back from my daydreams), I speak with the psalmist my trust and love for the Lord:

Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds (23-28).

Lord God, You have been with me all of my days. You are with me today. Forgive my human fragilities and sins that desire more earthly things than You have given me. As David said, ‘I am sinful from birth. Forgive my wanderings and draw me closer, even closer to You today and all of my todays until I live with You and all Your saints in glory forever. Until then cause my heart to beat in rhythm with Your heart'. I pray in the name of Jesus, my Savior. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment