Monday, November 23: Matthew 7- Judging others.

 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye (1-5).

Jesus comes down quite hard on judging other people. He pounds His point with a statement and then follows with His well known plank and speck illustration.

I started thinking about the hurt and problems that come from judging others. When I judge someone, I minimize them and I look down on them. When I judge someone rather than engaging them as human beings, I dismiss them.

Jesus’ words also remind me that it is not my place to judge. To judge is God’s prerogative. God alone can judge perfectly and with clear understanding of the heart.

Thinking about all this convicts me, because I have judged others and Jesus is so right. Many times when I judge someone for their splinter, I have a bigger one of the same variety in my own eye!

Caught by the master preacher…

O, God, please forgive me for the times I have judged others… forgive me for dehumanizing them and worse, thinking I am better than they are.. Thank You for Your grace and love, Lord.  I am so imperfect and You are so good! In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment