Friday, April 15: Exodus 29- Blood everywhere.

As I read the ordination ritual all I could see was blood everywhere. I thought of the meticulously made priestly garments getting sprinkled with blood and oil. I thought of Aaron and his sons with their hands on an animal’s head, and then the animal being slaughtered by having its neck cut… blood everywhere. Did more splatter on the ordination clothing? I tried to picture blood being put on ear lobes, thumbs and big toes. What was it like to feel the warm animal blood being ritually applied?

In our sanitized world every one of these images and rituals is completely foreign to me. I’ve never gutted an animal or had blood splattered on me except from my own injuries.

Beyond the acts themselves is the symbolism. Hand on the animal as it was slaughtered… killed for your sins. Your sins transferred to the animal who pays the price for you. And with this thought, I traveled millennia across time to Jesus hanging on the cross. Jesus, the son of God, taking on my sins and the sins of the world; bearing my sin (our sin) and paying the penalty I (we) deserve. Without the shedding of blood, the writer of Hebrews pens, there is no forgiveness of sins (Hebrews 9:22).

Today’s reading is a graphic representation of the importance the shedding of blood is.  And…Jesus shed his blood for me and you...

Jesus… his name is Jesus…

Jesus… his name is Jesus…

He is high and lifted up and all the world will know his name.

Jesus… his name is Jesus.

Oh, Jesus, I worship and adore You. Oh, Father, thank You for the pain of separation You endured to send Jesus to us for those 33 years and those 6 hours of agony and those days in the tomb. Thank You, Father. Thank You, Holy Spirit for opening my eyes to see the wonder of Jesus. He is high and lifted up and all the world will know His name.

May this be so and may my life help take Your name, Oh, God, throughout this world. Amen and Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment