Saturday, April 9: Exodus 24- Words are easy.

Standing by the mountain, with the awe of God all around them, Moses told the people all the Lord’s words and laws, they responded with one voice, “Everything the Lord has said we will do (3). Then Moses writes down the law and the next day among pageantry and sacrifice Moses took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, “we will do everything the Lord has said; we will obey (7).

Twice now in the span of 24 hours the people have said “Yes, we will do everything the Lord says.”

Words, especially in highly charged spiritual moments, are easily spoken compared to the faithfulness of honoring and keeping those words.

Big name evangelists like Billy Graham and Louis Palau understand this and put vast energy into creating a follow up plan so that people who come forward in the moment are connected to a local church where faithfulness to their ‘decision’ can be lived into.

The words of a song we used to sing come to mind: Faithfulness, faithfulness is what we long for…

This is so true. Momentary words of devotion are nothing compared to faithfulness in day-to-day, year-to-year living!!!

As these thoughts roll around my head, God, as he invariably does, turns the words and directs them to me.

Am I faithful to the words and commitments I have spoken to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit? Israel’s life will never match the devotion they spoke in this chapter. Can I do better? I have no illusion that I will be perfect in my devotion. I fail regularly. I am so thankful that when I fail, Jesus is standing there offering me forgiveness.

But I dare not take forgiveness for granted.  God calls you and me and all who will follow Jesus to a life of devotion, service, love and even sacrifice. Will I walk with Jesus? Will I carry my cross? Will I live for Him instead of self?

How about You?...

Oh, God, I am hearing You call me to deeper faithfulness. Oh, God, help me do more than say ‘Yes’. Help me to live ‘Yes’ every day, every year, every decade I have before my body wears out and I am summoned home to be with You for eternity. In Jesus’ name and for the sake of Your kingdom. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment