Monday, May 22: 2Samuel 4- Live differently.

In a ruthless age, when human life seemed to mean little to most people, David once again sets a standard of righteousness for his throne and kingdom.

The suggestion from the text is that most kings would have honored these 2 ruthless men for killing the king’s rival. But not David; he marched to the beat of a different drummer. He followed a different set of internal and external rules. David honored the Lord, rather than simply doing what was expedient.

The Lord tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I am willing live similarly. Will I follow His rules rather than the rules of the people of my culture?

In my world, out right murder of my enemy is not the issue… but there are still many aspects of life where God’s way and the world’s way differ.

Jesus said ‘turn the other cheek’ (Matthew 5:39, Luke 6:29) When insulted, my world generally advocates getting even or ahead. Which road do I follow?

Jesus said ‘You can’t serve both God and money’ (Matthew 6:24, Luke 16:13) and Paul reminded us that ‘The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil’ (1Timothy 6:10). Much of my world is driven by serving and loving money.  Whose way will I follow?

Jesus said ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  However, my world features a lot of hate and it is hard to be immune from picking up my world’s vibe.

And so my morning went as God laid out for me the way of my world and His way. Each time God asked me if I would be a David to my own world and live differently… by living a God honoring life…

How about you?

Lord, I wondered as I began reading how Your voice might speak through this portion of Your Word. You have spoken to me and I am feeling the weight of conviction.  I am seeing my failures and deficiencies in my life. Forgive my lack and my sin; cleanse me and Lord strengthen me so that tomorrow I might be just a bit more faithful than today. May  that be so each day of my life until you take me home to be with You for eternity. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment