Saturday, May 13: 1Samuel 28- Can you admit failure?.

This is such a peculiar story with many open questions. Rather than dwell on the difficult parts of the story, I found myself meditating on the story as a unit. Saul, who expelled mediums from the land, chooses to find and go to a medium in a time of crisis.

The Lord stopped speaking with Saul or answering him by way of prophet or priest. He inquired of the LORD, but the LORD did not answer him by dreams or Urim or prophets (6). Instead of humbling himself, admitting guilt and seeking restoration with the Lord, Saul does what he knows God abhors.  He seeks out a medium.

Why is it so hard for some of me (us) to admit failure and sin?

In the life of Saul we can see how disastrous it can be to be so full of pride we cannot face our failures and sins!

As soon as I wrote those words above, God spun the tables on me… probing me. Why are there times when I find it difficult to admit failure and mistakes? What is it in my life that drives me, at times, to act/pretend I am perfect?

This question and others the Lord has asked me are never simple to answer. They require time with the Lord and honesty with myself…

After spending some time with the Lord… my time for closing prayer came.

Lord, recently I needed a root canal. It was not fun. The pain before and the procedure itself was no joy. But the fact that I no longer have pain in my tooth and running up to my ear is soooo good. It is freeing.

I pray that as I deal with my true self, times of probing may not be ‘fun’ but my hope and trust is that freedom and joy will result as I move closer to You and allow more of your light to shine through me. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment