Saturday, May 20: 2Samuel 3- How much of the Lord's will do I know and yet not follow and obey?.

May God deal with Abner, be it ever so severely, if I do not do for David what the LORD promised him on oath and transfer the kingdom from the house of Saul and establish David’s throne over Israel and Judah from Dan to Beersheba. (9-10).

Reading this chapter it struck me how even the General of Israel, the man leading the fight against David, knew that God had anointed David to be the next king of Israel. How did he know this? How had the Lord spread the word that David would be king?

Then as the chapter progressed I learned that all Israel wanted to make David king Abner conferred with the elders of Israel and said, “For some time you have wanted to make David your king. Now do it! For the LORD promised David, ‘By my servant David I will rescue my people Israel from the hand of the Philistines and from the hand of all their enemies’ ” (17-18). So now whether Abner told the men for the first time or reiterated what they already knew, Abner and all his fighting men knew that the Lord has promised the kingdom to David.

What struck me in all this is how widespread the Lord’s plan was known and still Israel warred against each other. So deep is the human propensity for sin.

How much of the Lord’s will do I know and yet not follow and obey?

Too much…

And as this truth sunk in, my humanness and need for a savior sunk in as well.

How much we all need Jesus… His forgiveness, atonement and love.

Oh, Lord God, You have done for me what I could never have done for myself.  You have saved me from the folly of sin and given me the joy of knowing You. Words cannot convey the love and appreciation and joy which You have graciously given to me. I praise You, my Lord and my Savior. Amen and amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment