Thursday, May 4: 1Samuel 20- Friendship.

Not every friendship is built on formal covenants. Then again, not every friendship is between rival heirs to the same throne.

Jonathan and David model friendship at its best, two men who really care for each other and will be there for each other.

I remember reading somewhere that if a person has a couple of true friends then they are lucky.

I began musing on friendship… true friendship. A true friend is someone who cares for you, the real you. They know you on a level that goes way below the surface. A true friend is someone who can look you in the eye and say anything. If they confront you on an issue you will listen because you know they want the best for you. (I get that you may not take their advice but you will receive it). A true friend may encourage you, but their encouragement will not be hollow praise to get on your good side. Instead, their encouragement will build on truth and because they want the best for you.

I have found that a real friend is someone you can talk to and someone you can be with in silence… it is not activity alone that bonds the friendship. Presence is the bond of the friendship.

As I mused on friendship, a verse of Scripture slowly began to appear in my mind. Like an old time Polaroid picture the verse took a few moments to become clear in my head.

One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24).

I have generally associated the ‘friend who sticks closer than a brother’ with Jesus. Although that may not be the precise interpretation of the text, I believe it is true.

Jesus will be for us that true friend… that friend who speaks truth and encourages honestly and relentlessly

…who is always there for us, no matter what. When we blow it, he will stick to us… speaking truth, yes, but doing so right beside us. When we have a victory he will celebrate with us and not seek to steal our joy.

…who is present with us all the time.

When Jesus called His disciples ‘friends’ (John 15:14), Jesus made a powerful statement. The same one who is Lord and God and to be worshiped, calls us ‘friend’!

Do you know the friendship of Jesus? I pray you do.

Oh, Jesus, Lord and Savior… I sit here this morning feeling blessed that You have called me friend. I pray for my family, I pray for my friends, I pray for my neighbors and acquaintances, I pray for my world that everyone would come to know the blessings of your Lordship and Your friendship. I pray in Your name, Jesus. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment