Saturday, May 27: 2Samuel 9- Kindness for kindness sake.

David’s kingdom is becoming more stable and secure. God’s hand is certainly on David. Out of his blessing David seeks to bless someone from Saul’s family for the sake and love he had for Jonathan.

After a search is conducted, it turns out that Jonathan has a son still living.  David blesses him, returning his inheritance and inviting him to dine at the King’s table for the rest of David’s reign.

There appears to be no motivation for this act of kindness other than kindness itself. David wanted to do a kindness to his friend Jonathan… Kindness for kindness sake.

David gained no political advantage.  This was not done because he owed Jonathan a favor, it was purely a kindness for kindness sake.

The phrase ‘kindness for kindness sake’ stuck to me. The Lord started working inside of me. When was the last time I showed a kindness for kindness sake? When was the last time someone was on my heart and I just did something nice. When was the last time I did that for someone not an immediate family member or good friend?

Kindness is one of the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5: 22-23) that is supposed to be flourishing in the life of a Believer... is it flourishing in mine?

Oh, Lord, fertilize kindness in me. Help me to see acts of niceness that can brighten the lives of other people. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment