Tuesday, May 23: 2Samuel 5- Drawbacks to our instant society.

If I read things correctly David was made king of Judah at age 30,  king over all Israel at 37 and he reigned until he was 70. David was thirty years old when he became king, and he reigned forty years. In Hebron he reigned over Judah seven years and six months, and in Jerusalem he reigned over all Israel and Judah thirty-three years (4-5).

David was a younger boy when he came into Saul’s service. Therefore, David has labored and served and fought battles and hid from Saul for years.  Then he received a part of his promised kingship and lived with that for another 7 years before the Lord’s Word to him came into fruition.

Years, decades of service before God’s promise was fulfilled! All this time David remained faithful, going about his business with integrity, learning more and more how to walk with and trust the Lord.

We want things quickly and this is growing truer in our instant society. I bought a pair of athletic shoes last week. I went to the store but then if I ordered them online, which I did at the store, I saved over 50%. It was worth it to me to save the money. Now a week later I am waiting for them to show up at my door, it will be seven to eight days when they arrive tomorrow according to the package tracker. I thought it would take only two to three days.  If I had ordered them on Amazon Prime it would have only taken two days from when I press confirm order. Seven to eight days seems like an ‘eternity’.

Like I said, we are used to getting things instantly and yet David waited more than a decade!!!

Things of God, particularly character, do not come quickly. They are slowly learned over time and often through testing

Watching and reading about David reminds me about faithfulness… faithfulness day in and day out. That is what God desires and He will work His will out in His time not ours!

Am I being faithful to the Lord today?

Am I willing to remain faithful for as long as it takes?

Am I willing to remain faithful until my dying day?

These are the probes the Lord makes into my life as I sit today with Him.

Oh, Lord, give me patient endurance to walk every day of my life with You. I pray this in the name of Jesus who walked all the way to Calvary for me. Amen and Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment