Friday, October 13: John 8- The essential need to believe in Jesus.

Yesterday one who believes Jesus was front and center in my reading of chapter 7. Today part of the answer why that is important surfaced as I read.

There was so much in this chapter, after I read I went back and looked at some verses that grabbed my attention. They are below.

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life” (12).

I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins” (24).

To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (31-32)

Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death” (51).

When I put these verses together and read them one after another, why belief in Jesus is so important, came to life.

Verse 12: He is the light of the world. Light leads and directs us when the way is dark. When I travel in Africa a flashlight is essential gear. Night is dark and they do not have street lights and many houses have minimal light, so if you are walking after dark you need a light. In our dark and confusing world where there are all manner of ‘truths’ taught from all kinds of perspectives we need the light Jesus provides to find our way. Jesus is the light.

Verse 24: spoken from the negative position, people who do not believe in Jesus die in their sins. Every Jew knew to die in sin was to be separated from God in the afterlife.

Verses 31-32: Jesus’ teachings give us truth and His truth will set us free.

Verse 51: obedience to Jesus means no death, i.e., eternal life.

Now of course if you don’t believe Jesus you won’t believe these things. However, those who believe Jesus do believe these things, which explains why belief in Jesus is so essential to life now (He is the light) and life here after (He alone can remove sins and usher us into eternal life).

I believe… do you?

Thank You, Jesus, for all Your spiritual works on behalf of those who put their trust and faith in You. Alleluia. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment