Saturday, October 21: John 15- .

The vine and the branches is one of the more recognizable chapters in the gospels. As we have found with John’s gospel, he packs a great deal of teaching into each chapter.

An intriguing insight struck me as I was reading verses 5-8: I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

As I came to the words I bolded, I had the usual thought, “Wow, ask whatever you wish and it will be done” What a promise. However, is it really true. Countless believers ask for the healing of a loved one that doesn’t happen. And how many other prayers could be added to the list of unanswered prayers?

As I pondered this I realized that “remaining in Jesus” is a prerequisite. But I am wondering about Christians who do not have their wishes granted. And it seems that Christians are the ones remaining in the vine, so why are the wishes not granted?

As I pondered this verse 8 came into view, This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. Could it be that this is not some carte blanch promise that anything we wish for will come true, but that it must be heard in the context of bearing fruit for the kingdom… fruit that shows we are disciples of Jesus?

This thought doesn’t eliminate all my questions regarding the ‘ask for anything you wish’ promise but it does push me in directions I haven’t pondered deeply.

As I consider this one thing I am realizing that doing things that give glory to the Father has to rise higher on my life-goal list. Life isn’t about seeking me and mine… my pleasure, my desire, my wishes. It is about living a manner of life that gives glory to God. On this score I have a great deal still to learn.

Lord, I offer You today. Point out to me things I should, could, do that bring You glory that I ordinarily may miss or skip over. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment