Wednesday, October 18: John 12- A gift of pure love.

Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume [worth more than a year’s wages]; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume (3).

Extravagant love… Mary took what may have been her dowry money and anointed Jesus with the whole of it. Where a few dabs would have adequately anointed Him, she poured out the whole lot. Certainly she was grateful, Jesus had just raised her brother from the dead. But Jesus understands in her gift something even deeper, anointing for His burial. Others may feel His death is coming (remember Thomas in an earlier chapter?), but Jesus knows it is coming.

Back to Mary’s gift… so extravagant, so filled with love.

I have never even come close to giving my Lord that valuable a gift. I sit here this morning humbled by Mary’s sacrifice of love.

I love You, Lord. I am humbled by Mary’s generosity and demonstration of her love. Honestly, I have no more words to say…  Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment