Tuesday, October 17: John 11- O what a savior.

Even after all these years of reading the Bible, I am still amazed how the simplest word in the text can draw me into my daily meditation. This morning, despite all the tremendous teaching packed into this chapter, it was a word from Thomas that launched my meditation.

Verse 16 reads, Then Thomas (also known as Didymus) said to the rest of the disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.” As dull and clueless the disciples seem at times, they could feel the pressure mounting around Jesus. The Jewish leaders were growing more and more impatient with Jesus. And if the disciples knew it, then Jesus certainly knew it. Jesus’ death in Jerusalem was looming for all of them.

I wondered particularly about Jesus. What was it like to live with this impending doom over your life constantly? And yet here he was giving and loving and teaching and demonstrating God’s love and kingdom despite what he knew –and the disciples knew –was coming.

As I sat this morning I marveled at Jesus… fully human. What were His deepest thoughts like? And how did he face any fears head on without letting on?

Jesus truly was human. The depth of His humanness pours out as He stands outside Lazarus’ tomb. When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. Jesus wept. …  Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. (33-38a).

Deeply moved, weeping, deeply moved again… Jesus’ emotions rise to the surface. Who of us hasn’t stood at a graveside of a loved one and not been moved? Jesus is just like one of us… He was human.

As I grasped and wrestled with Jesus’ humanness it hit me… He understands! Jesus understands us because Jesus is one of us. What an amazing picture of God in human flesh (John 1:14).

For the umpteenth time in my life I sit realizing how much God loves me (us) that Jesus became human to lead us back to the Father.

O what a Savior. O what a God. Lord Jesus, Thank You for all You did, felt, and endured to communicate the Father’s love to all humankind. I bless You and I thank You and I pray in Your name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment