Tuesday, October 10: John 5- The wonder of eternal life.

On one hand it is difficult to choose one verse or a couple of verses upon which to ponder and meditate. The chapter is rich and full with Jesus’ teaching. And yet amidst the wonder of the chapter and its declarations about Jesus’ identity, one verse grabbed me.

Verse 24 is another of the gospels declarations of the eternal life Jesus will grant to all who believe in him. Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

To hear and believe is the ticket to eternal life. To hear Jesus’ Words and believe in the Father, the one who sent Him.

I love the cascading image of eternal life. Eternal life as a phrase speaks about living forever. To that Jesus adds that the person with eternal life will not be judged. So eternal life also means acceptance by God. If I widen my biblical horizon for a moment, since all have sinned (Romans 3:23) the only way I will not be judged is if my sins are forgiven, so being accepted by God means I am forgiven. (This of course fits the narrative of the entire New Testament.)

The understanding of eternal life grows even more when Jesus says the one with eternal life has crossed over from death to life. Again in the wider New Testament I was reminded of Colossians 1 13-14: For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. The cross over from life to death happens immediately. We can experience life here and now. Eternal life is not just a future gift. It is a present gift that carries us into forever.

What a gift eternal life is... what a joy to ponder this gift this morning.

Oh, Jesus, thank you for the gift of eternal life You give to all who believe!!!! I am rejoicing today in You and the gift You have given. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment