Saturday, October 28: John 21- Called to a purpose.

When my children were young after telling them a story, they would often say, “Tell us another story, please...”

At concerts the crowd often cries out for an encore.  Chapter 21 is John’s encore.

John begins with his third Jesus-sighting after the resurrection (see verse 14).

The disciples are hanging around together; seven of them are together by the Sea of Galilee one evening.

It hits me they have gone home. They are no longer in Jerusalem. I get the sense they do not know what to do without Jesus. For three years these men have walked where Jesus walked and did what Jesus said. Now He is gone and they seem lost without Him.

When I stop to think, this isn’t a surprise. Who wouldn’t be lost?

Jesus pulls Peter aside and tells him to ‘feed my lambs,’ ‘take care of my sheep’ and ‘follow me’ (15-19).

I don’t get the feel from the passage that Peter yet understands, but that isn’t a surprise either. I am sure they are still trying to process Jesus’ dying and rising again.

This is in essence Peter’s commission to ministry. God was calling him to the apostleship and mission that would define his life.

This event probably happened shortly before what we call ‘the great commission’. I went back and looked Matthew 28:16-20 takes place in Galilee.

I found myself contemplating ‘calling.’ God’s calling to each of us to take part in building His kingdom. None of us will be called to be a Peter, but each of us who are called to follow Him are given things to do…

Help the widow next door

Share our faith with the person in the office next to ours

Support this or that ministry with our time, treasures and talents

Serve in your local church

Work to better the lives of a group of people affected by a particular injustice

The list of options is endless…

What has the Lord called you to do to further His kingdom, His name here in our world? Think about it.

Oh, Lord, focus my attention on Your calling. If I am not sure what it is do not let me rest until I am ready to listen. Lead me into the depth of Your calling. Your apostles, those fishermen, didn’t get it right away and I might not fully get it either. This is not an excuse, but a begging of You to keep pushing me and calling me until I do get it.

Sending Your Holy Spirit was the turning point in the fishermen becoming fishers of men, dynamos ready to die if necessary for You. I pray this in Jesus’name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment