Thursday, October 26: John 19- I put him on the cross.

Things certainly turned quickly for Jesus. Little over a chapter ago and a day ago, Jesus was teaching His disciples. By the end of this chapter he has been tried, crucified and buried.

As the account unfolds the Jewish leaders are recorded shouting, “Crucify him! Crucify him!” (6).

I pause to wonder what that must have been like for Jesus, the word made flesh who created all things, to hear the men anointed to preserve and teach your word shouting and calling for your death. Rejection is one thing but to hear hate-speech shouted at you is another level entirely.

My thoughts take me to Good Friday services. For years I have participated in community readings of one of the Gospels. Generally during these services the entire assembly read the words of the crowds or in this case, the religious leaders. Shouting, “Crucify, crucify. Crucify Him.” Saying “Crucify Him,” shakes my heart with terror every year. I have seen others tear up while saying those words.

Remembering those moments as I read John’s account, hammers home what my sin and our sin cost Jesus. When I sin I participate in why that moment had to take place. Jesus was accepting all that abuse because of me and my sin, and you and your sin. Our sin put him in that place. Our sin nailed him to the cross.

Jesus, I am forever grateful that You took my place. You died for me. You paid my sin debt. You endured the taunts and shouts for me, for us, so that we might be restored into relationship with You, the Father and the Spirit. Praise to You, Lord Jesus, my Savior and my God. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment