Tuesday, October 24: John 17- Protection.

I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled. … My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one (11-12, 15).

John records Jesus’ prayer on the eve of His death. Jesus prays for Himself, the disciples and all who will believe in Him through the message of the Gospel. As He was praying for the disciples He prays for their protection. Is His prayer for protection so that no harm will ever come to them? If that is so, how is it that many of the disciples died for their faith in Jesus and others, like John, suffered imprisonment? What did Jesus mean when He prayed for protection?

In verse 11 He follows His prayer for protection saying, so that they may be one as we are one. His protection then is to guard them so that nothing separates them from each other, so that they remain together, unified in Jesus. Certainly the apostles remained unified like this throughout their lifetime.

In verse 12 protection is linked to not falling away from the faith and again that was true. The faith and resolve of the disciples is amazing, given the persecution they at times endured.

Finally in verse 15 Jesus prays for protection from the evil one and to me that is a repeat of what he has prayed. The greatest power the evil one could have would be to pull someone from the salvation God has granted, but Jesus has protected them from that (12). Second would be to put a wedge between them so that the witness of love is destroyed. Again Jesus has prayed specifically for that in verse 11. 

My sense is that what Jesus prayed for them counts for us as well as His present day disciples. He has prayed that our faith will hold… Halleluia!. He has prayed that we remain one in spirit and in Jesus… and to that I say Halleluiah once more!

The protection Jesus offers us may not be from any and every harm, but it certainly is protection from the greatest fears… loss of faith and loss of my brothers and sisters in the faith.

Thank You, Jesus, for praying for my protection. May I live well and for Your glory under Your protection. Thank You for caring so much for me, for us, that You have protected us. Again I say, Halleluiah! Thank You, Jesus. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment