Friday, October 27: John 20- To hear my name.

 

I sat for much of my devotional time wondering what it will be like to hear Jesus speak my name. I was touched by the instant change in Mary when she hears her name.

At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus. He asked her, “Woman, why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?” Thinking he was the gardener, she said, “Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have put him, and I will get him.” Jesus said to her, “Mary.” She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”) (14-16).

Since Jesus had already spoken with her it was not the sound of His voice but the speaking of her name that jarred her into belief. How powerful the speaking of a name is…

Typing this observation took me back again to my wondering what will it be like when I hear Jesus speak my name? It will have to be in a dream or vision or at my resurrection when I see Him face-to-face. How will I react?

I suspect it will be in the fashion of Mary, who cries out in faith and belief! Rabboni… Rabbi, Teacher. Maybe like Thomas, later in the chapter, I will cry out, my Lord and my God (28).

To see my Lord face to face will be a thrill, and to hear Him speak my name. I struggle to push my imagination that far. One thing is sure I will be a moment of pure joy.

The chapter concludes with John’s reason for writing his Gospel, But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name (31).

I believe, I have life Jesus alone can give and I long to see Him and hear Him speak my name…

I hope you do, too.

What joy, what wonder, what awe it will be to see You, Jesus. To be in Your presence and to know I will be with Your family in the presence of my God –Father, Spirit, You –for eternity. Halleluiah! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment