Friday, August 17: Acts 8- Prodding's of God.

What a chapter. The chapter begins with persecution which fires a move of God in Samaria, Caesarea and even sends the first convert to Ethiopia. Confirming the gospel of Jesus are signs and wonders and even 'teleportation' of one saint named Philip, one of the seven appointed in chapter 6. The gospel is advancing in incredible ways. 

My thoughts return to the persecution that seems to spark And Saul approved of their killing him.

On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria. Godly men buried Stephen and mourned deeply for him. But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off both men and women and put them in prison (1-3).

Reading that Saul was approving of the killing of Stephen I was reminded of Stephen's prayer for forgiveness just before he died (7:59). I can't help but wonder if Saul's conversion in chapter 9 isn't in part a result of Stephen's prayer. Oh the wonders of life in Jesus.

In Acts 1:8 Jesus said, But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Because of the persecution believers, who prayed for great boldness in chapter 4 are being scattered to Judea and Samaria. Jesus' statement is beginning to be realized. And persecution was the explosion that pushed the believers out of Jerusalem.

God, at times of His understanding, uses hardship to advance His name and purposes in our world. This seems to be the case with Stephen's martyrdom and is certainly the case with the ensuing persecution.

I wonder if the Church had taken Jesus' words to heart and spread out to Judea and Samaria on their own, then the persecution would have been unnecessary. Just wondering...

My wonderings turn personal... does my lack of immediate obedience ever necessitate God to do some prodding in my life, even uncomfortable hardship or pain prodding? Again just wondering...

The Lord will see His word fulfilled. Believers will witness to Jesus to the ends of the earth. This task still needs completion. What am I doing to see that it is completed? Am I doing all God asks me to do to see His name spread around this globe?

I am reminder of the words to a song: Faithfulness, faithfulness is what I long for faithfulness is what I need. O God I pray for faithfulness, integrity, and strength to do Your will and Your bidding. Through Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment