Wednesday, August 22: Acts 12- God can do way more.

Having read the chapter and begun my contemplation, Proverbs 3:5-6 came immediately to mind. Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Peter was doing lots of trusting. Herod was flexing his muscle, having put James to death, Peter's neck was on the chopping block. Peter certainly knew it. And the church was earnestly praying to God for him (5). Those words remind me that prayer is FAR more than an emotional exercise. Prayer taps into the very might and power of God. And for Peter, God moved miraculously.

Part of the report that gets me comes when Peter reaches Mary's house. When the servant Rhoda heard Peter and told the gathering they said, "You're out of your mind"... (15). The people who were earnestly praying for Peter couldn't believe he was at their door!

A smile comes to my face...

Maybe they were praying for Peter to have peace. Maybe they were praying that Herod would have mercy. We don't know.  In all likelihood, God did immeasurably more than they asked or imagined (see Ephesians 3:20).

How often do I limit God by what I have faith to imagine?  Still the smile grew on my face because my lack of faith does not automatically limit God. God can and may still do more than I ask. Halleluiah!

I serve, we serve, a mighty God!!!

Oh, God, release Your power and might in signs and wonders and promptings and angelic visits and ... any immeasurably more that You care to release. In Jesus' name and for Your glory. Amen and Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment