Saturday, August 18: Acts 9- The Encourager.

Saul, who becomes Paul, dominates the opening of the chapter. As his story unfolds two men were essential for Paul to become the great apostle, missionary and voice for Jesus in the early church.

The first is Ananias. At the Lord's command Ananias had to lay aside his fear about Paul –word about Saul mission to kill believers spread –go to him and pray for Paul's healing and filling with the Holy Spirit. Ananias did just that. His brief conversation with the Lord is one example of how a Spirit-empowered believer receives guidance from the Lord.

The second person is Barnabas. After his healing Paul fearlessly preaches Jesus in Damascus earning him death threats. After being sneaked out of the city by believers Paul goes back to Jerusalem where believers are afraid to meet him. Enter Barnabas, who takes Paul under his wing vouches for him and introduces him around to the apostles.

It struck me how God used these two men to bring Paul into the center of the Christian community.

Then it struck me God continues to use followers to bring others into the center of His will. I wondered who God would have me be a 'Barnabas' for someone? I wondered if God called me to pray for someone, especially a scary someone, if I would be as faithful as Ananias?

O God, give me the faith of Ananias and the heart of Barnabas... so that I might be used by You to spread Your name and help bring others into the center of Your will. I pray in Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment