Tuesday, August 28: Acts 17- Reactions to the gospel.

I was struck by the vehemence of the opposition to the Gospel in Thessalonica. I have seen this kind of reaction to Jesus before, consider the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem for example. The Gospel elicits strong reactions!

Some of the opposition is built on its theme of resurrection. Some people simply cannot accept the concept of resurrection. But more often it is the Gospel's challenge to the way of life people are living.

In yesterday's reading a riot ensued and Paul and Silas were beaten because casting out of the demon in the slave girl meant that her owner's revenue source stopped. The opposition was financially motivated. In Thessalonica jealousy was the root of opposition (5). It is not clear to me what exactly they were jealous about. Maybe that Paul was taking people away from the synagogue… thus jealousness over his success. Maybe they were jealous of the Jewish faith and didn't want to see people leaving it. Maybe the shrinking congregation meant less prestige for the leaders and they were jealous for their roles and power, etc.

What I am recognizing is that the Gospel, for a myriad of reasons, often creates strong reactions in people. Now I love the positive strong reactions when people throw themselves on the mercy of Jesus and put their faith and trust in Him. But I am never quite prepared for equally strong negative reactions. As I think about my discomfort with the negative reactions, much sadly, is due to the fact that I feel assaulted. I like being liked and I don't like being rejected.

I feel ashamed by these reactions. Yes, people may be rejecting me, but really the one they are rejecting is Jesus. Rejecting Jesus is by far the more costly rejection. Still their rejection of Jesus does not seem to affect me as much as their rejection of me…

And it saddens me that I am more concerned with self than Jesus.

Oh, Lord, You have exposed another weakness and sin-hold in my life. I am still. I am silent before You, making my confession that at times I make an idol of my own self. Forgive me, Lord, and cleanse me. I pray in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment