Tuesday, August 21: Acts 11- Partners in life and ministry.

As I read these two very different accounts, I wondered where God might speak. How would God use today's chapter to enter my life and speak to me?

I read and re-read, wondering. I pondered and thought and looked at the text. Slowly my heart was drawn to verse 25: Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul.

Hmm... when the task becomes too large to whom do you turn?

The task of discipling new believers in Antioch was too much for Barnabas alone. So remembering Paul, Barnabas went and found him and brought him to Antioch to help disciple the burgeoning church in the city. They labored for a year.

Is there a place for single-handed ministry? Well, although Jesus sent out disciples two by two, we also see the Spirit using Philip alone when he spoke to the Ethiopian eunuch. But this confirms my opening observation. If/when a ministry task gets too big for you alone, do you have someone to turn to for help? Do I have fellow believers I could call for help?

I have a number of people I can turn to for prayer and encouragement. But do I have someone who would come alongside if I asked? I don't know. Depending upon the ask, maybe yes, probably no.

Is God showing me a deficiency in by spiritual life???

How about you?

Speak, Lord, my heart is open... Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment