Thursday, August 30: Acts 19- Following Jesus and the use of money.

Reading through Paul's time in Ephesus, I realized those early years for the church were an interesting time. The faith was so new and there was much confusion that needed to be figured out. Disciples who only had baptism of John. Wow.

Providentially God sent Paul to correct the errors in understanding.

We today are blessed that the church over the centuries has cleared up be basic teachings of the faith! The Apostles' and Nicene Creeds are concise statements of the faith. They are not everything, but they lay the firm foundation.

Where my heart went however was to the problems that erupted in Ephesus. The genesis of the riot was money.

A silversmith named Demetrius, who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought in a lot of business for the craftsmen there. He called them together, along with the workers in related trades, and said: "You know, my friends, that we receive a good income from this business. And you see and hear how this fellow Paul has convinced and led astray large numbers of people here in Ephesus and in practically the whole province of Asia. He says that gods made by human hands are no gods at all. There is danger not only that our trade will lose its good name, but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be discredited; and the goddess herself, who is worshiped throughout the province of Asia and the world, will be robbed of her divine majesty" (24-27).

Faith in Jesus was disrupting the idol making business so the idol manufacturers prompted a riot. This isn't the first time that financial reasons pushed people to try to disrupt the faith.

I cannot conceive of faith in Jesus disrupting a respected industry in my community.

I began to ponder a larger question, "Does faith in Jesus change or limit the way Christ-followers handle money, finances and riches?" This is a broad question to which I believe the answer is 'yes'.

Jesus bids us to grow in charity, helping those in need and advancing the Gospel around the globe. Giving money away will affect our finances. I do believe God blesses us as we live for Him. His blessings, however, my not be directly financial. Additionally, I suspect that there are some investments that would not please the Lord, no matter how great their returns.

All of this leads me to consider my use of the money and resources God has granted me as His steward. Am I using His money wisely and in ways that bring Him glory and cause Him to smile? I hope so… I pray so.

Lord, You have blessed me with money and income. I pray that my use of Your gifts is honoring and pleasing to You. Show me, Lord, where I am faithful and where I still need to grow in maturity and wisdom. I pray in Jesus' name, Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment