Friday, August 24: Acts 14- A menagerie of thoughts.

      Paul and Barnabas have been on a whirlwind ministry tour. Oh, how the Lord has used them planting churches and advancing His reign in the world.

When the duo began their trip it was Barnabas and Saul (Paul). Now in almost every reference it is Paul and Barnabas. I realize this is a subtle shift in the account, still it indicates a significant change. Paul becomes the primary spokesman (12).

I thought about Barnabas. It is not easy when the person one is mentoring takes the lead from the former mentor. Yet, reading between the lines of the text, Barnabas accepts this change with grace. I suspect this is another incidence of Barnabas being a 'son of encouragement.' He understands his place and is grateful to see Paul become all God has made him to be.

Now with prominence comes pressure. According to verse 19, Paul is stoned but there is no mention of this happening to Barnabas. Leadership is not all it is cracked up to be. Leaders often take BIG hits.  I cannot imagine being stoned and enduring what Paul endured! I'd leave town too.

Lastly I was drawn in by the warm welcome when the duo returned home. From Attalia they sailed back to Antioch, where they had been committed to the grace of God for the work they had now completed. On arriving there, they gathered the church together and reported all that God had done through them and how he had opened a door of faith to the Gentiles. And they stayed there a long time with the disciples (26-28).

Reports from the 'field' always encourage me when they happen in my church. Apparently they had similar affects in Paul's day. I loved the words they stayed there a long time with the disciples. I imagined the church blessing Barnabas and Paul and pouring into them restoring strength for future ministry.

Lord I pray that the church today refreshes and restores the men and women it sends out to mission fields around the world. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment