Friday, September 7: Acts 26- The miracle of conversion.

I know Paul was an opponent of Christianity. I know Paul stood there when Stephen was killed for his faith. But I never realized how doggedly Paul pursued early Christians. Apparently I never paid attention to verses 9-12.

I too was convinced that I ought to do all that was possible to oppose the name of Jesus of Nazareth. And that is just what I did in Jerusalem. On the authority of the chief priests I put many of the Lord's people in prison, and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them. Many a time I went from one synagogue to another to have them punished, and I tried to force them to blaspheme. I was so obsessed with persecuting them that I even hunted them down in foreign cities. "On one of these journeys I was going to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests (9-12).

I am routinely amazed how I can read the Bible regularly and do so for over 40 years and still discover new things.

Back to Paul, he was a terror for the church. He was out to destroy it. I noted his language,

·         I put many … in prison,

·         Many a time I...

·         I was so obsessed with persecuting them

·         On one of these journeys

Paul was a relentless persecutor, believing he was honoring God by what he was doing.

And then God turned him around. Following his encounter with Jesus, Paul put that same energy and drive into bringing people to Jesus that he employed in trying to destroy the church. Paul made a radical about face... such is the miracle of conversion and new life. NO wonder the early church was fearful about Paul when he first came to faith.

This got me thinking about those who are out to destroy the church today. We have legitimate fear of them. They do want to harm Believers. But what struck me is that we need to be praying for their conversion so that their passions against Jesus and his church can be transformed. Like Paul, into passion for the Gospel and its advance around the world.

Too often I let my fear get the better of me. I concentrate on the 'enemy' reality rather than the transforming power of Jesus. And my heart hardens rather than my knees bending in prayer…

Oh, God, give me your eyes. Help me see the value You see in people. Help me to see what true faith in a life can do and the real life change it can bring in all of our lives. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment