Monday, September 3: Acts 22- My story of faith.

Reading Paul's defense, which really was his salvation testimony, sparked me to recall my testimony of saving faith.

It occurred for me early in my second year of college. I was in a friend's college room when a couple of others showed up. He mentioned that he was holding a Bible study and mentioned that should I close the door as I left. I decided to stay. I don't recall the passage or much of anything he said. What I do remember is that as he sat on his desk he spoke about Jesus as if Jesus was a friend sitting right there next to him.

His references to Jesus were personal. Really, it sounded like his best buddy just came into the room and my friend was introducing his friend, Jesus, to us.

I had been in church all of my life. I knew the story of Jesus. I knew the gospels, epistles and major OT stories. I knew the Apostle's creed and prayers, but I had never met anyone who talked about Jesus in such an intimate and real way as my friend. It blew me away.

I wasn't quite ready to say 'yes' to Jesus that night. In fact I didn't realize I needed to say 'yes' to Jesus. About 2 weeks later, through a series of events that could only have been God's hand, I was on a school sponsored trip rooming with this same friend. Right before bed he grabbed the Bible in the motel bureau and read John 3:16 to me, For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Then he went to sleep and I lay there that night wanting the faith in Jesus my friend had.

No stranger to prayer, I prayed: "Oh, God, what my friend has, I want."

God honored that prayer and I have been on a journey with Jesus ever since.

What's your story with Jesus? It likely will not look or sound like Paul's or mine, it will be unique to you. Can you articulate it?

Think about it…

Lord, thank You for my story. Thank You that You came and entered my life and invited me to journey with You by faith. Thank You for a friend who opened his room and heart to others and was willing to share with us Your story. I pray this in Jesus' name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment