Saturday, September 1: Acts 21- I never could have imagined.

Would I suffer for Jesus?

If people warned me that danger and arrest were imminent if I completed a particular trip, could I, would I continue if I believed the Lord had told me to go? Would I joyfully accept the Lord's plan for my life if I knew it included imprisonment, torture and possibly death?

The amazing thing is Paul accepts all this and does so in a way that honors the Lord. He didn't disregard the prophetic warning of people, rather he said that he knew danger lurked and he was ready to suffer and even die for the Lord. Then Paul answered, "Why are you weeping and breaking my heart? I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus" (13).

Life has come full circle for Paul. The first time we meet him, Paul is among those who are arresting and stoning Stephen in Jerusalem. Now he comes to the city to be arrested himself! Ah, the will of God.

I am sure he could never have imagined how his life would unwind.

That is one way I am like Paul. I could never have imagined how my life would unfold. Jesus grabbed a hold of my life my sophomore year in college while I was studying engineering. I had no inkling that God would lead me into pastoral ministry. I never could have imagined that God would lead me to a teaching ministry in Africa. I never could have imagined that I would serve on an international ministry board, even less serve as board president.

God's journey is nothing that I ever expected.

As I sit smiling at the workings of the Lord I find myself wondering where the Lord will take me the next 30 years or as many as the Lord will give me before for my homecoming in eternity.

Life with Jesus is never boring and always rewarding. There have been difficult days and exhausting days and blissful days. Through all of them there is a joy, a deep-set joy, knowing that the Lord is walking with me and leading me.

Oh, the wonder and joy of serving Jesus… where oh where will He lead me in the future!?

Lord Jesus, I am Yours, use me today, use me tomorrow, use me the rest of my life –every day of the rest of my life –to make Your name known near and far.

Oh, the places I will go as I follow Your will. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment