Friday, June 11: 2Samuel 6-God HOLINESS demands obedience.

This chapter touches me in a number of places but it is the death of Uzzah that grips me most tightly. It was a magnificent day as the ark of God (the presence of Almighty God among his people) is moved into the holy city. All things are glorious, until Uzzah, the priest, reaches out to steady the ark as the oxcart stumbles. In an instant, the pageantry ends as Uzzah immediately dies. How dare he touch the holiness of God.

Let me back up. Uzzah was attempting to do a good thing, so why did God kill him? First the priests were not following God’s decree about moving the ark. God had prescribed that the ark be carried on shoulders with long poles and not be on a cart. Had the priests been following God’s ways, there would have been no need for this breach of protocol.

First thought… do things God’s way. When God prescribes, it is not within our prerogative to change His prescription!

Second thought… can’t God care for Himself? Does God need me or anyone else to defend him? Remember chapters ago after the ark had been captured and then the Philistines sent the ark back on a cart (they didn’t know God’s law) and God directed two never-before-yoked oxen to pull the cart (with the ark on it) home with out incident? God can care for Himself. God would have protected the ark, Uzzah didn’t need to break God’s law and touch the ark!

I am still staggered by the thought of this event. Like David, I am frightened by the awesome power and absolute respect that God commands. This, too, is a good thing. I must never take God for granted!!!

O, Lord, shatter my world with an utter understanding of Your holiness. Remind me of Your incredible greatness and that You alone are LORD and I am but mere creature. Shake me, Jesus, with whom You, the Father and the Holy Spirit are.  Let me never forget Your wonder and Holiness and Might and … amen.

 

PS: R.C. Sproul has a tremendous teaching from this text on the Holiness of God

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment