Friday, June 18: 2Samuel 12-Blinded to our own sin.

As Nathan weaves his story, David’s heart burns for the injustice. Yes, David’s heart still loves the Lord deeply.  God’s spirit continues to reside there… BUT David is completely blind to the sin and its residual consequences in his life. Nathan’s story reels David in and then Nathan lands God’s convicting punch… You Are the MAN!

It never ceases to amaze me, how we humans (I think we males are better at this than women) can compartmentalize our lives. We can be spiritual giants on the one hand and living with unconfessed sin in the other. I have seen it in many lives, read about it all too often in the tabloids as Christian leaders become exposed and more to the point of my morning devotions, I have seen it in my own life! Ouch.

After reading this account I reviewed yesterday’s prayer… it may be more potent today: Lord, I know this is true and yet I still struggle with self-examination.

Lord, show me the log in my eye… show me the sins in my life… show me where You would have me change, grow, learn, confess, repent, …

Self-examination is one defense against compartmentalizing sin; another is the gift of a ‘Nathan’.  A trusted voice can speak God’s word past our defenses and into our lives…

O, Jesus, help me to develop a pattern of intentional, regular self-examination and some ‘Nathans’ who can speak into my life when self-examination fails… Jesus, help me. Spirit, help me. Father, help me… Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment