Tuesday, June 1: 1Samuel 28-You can't hide character.

Saul does a despicable thing going to a medium, something expressly forbidden by God. In the language of Star Wars, Saul’s defection to the dark side is complete…

But my eyes and heart were attracted to David. Those few verses say volumes about him. In less than 18-months David has proven himself so valuable that Achish appoints David to be his bodyguard. This may be the most trusted position for a king. Reading those words caused me to realize what kind of person and worker David was.  He was the cream of the crop, a valiant warrior who was trusted by all he served.

David held this same position for Saul before Saul attempted to kill David.

You can’t hide character.  Over time character will show through. When you are a person of integrity, competence, hard work, diligence, resourcefulness, etc. people will come to see it. Hopefully, they will appreciate it but this unfortunately is not always the case. Saul became more and more threatened by David’s character and competence. Some leaders cannot handle high quality subordinates.This is sad but true.

It also occurs to me that one can develop character… that’s the point of walking with Jesus. As we allow the Holy Spirit to fill and change us to be more like Jesus, our character will grow. We can develop competence, too. Not everyone has the same potential or gifts.  Some can play on the PGA tour, others in a local league.  But no matter our natural gifts in an area, we can all hone the gifts given and give it our all.

David is an example of a person with extraordinary leadership gifts who applies himself to the task.  As such, he is an example to me of excellence and character, a wonderful combination, one rarely seen.

O, Lord, help me to be the person You created me to be… to give myself wholly to loving and serving You. Develop in me CHARACTER first, that I might live for You like David, all the days of my life (unlike Saul who lacked character and defected). And Lord, by Your grace, lead me on a path where I can hone and use the gifts You have given for Your honor and glory.

Finally Lord, please do not allow me to grow complacent in either arena of life. When I, in my humanness, do grow complacent, by Your sovereign will, place something in my path that will build character and competence in me. Lord, I am inspired by David, a man after Your own heart whose excellent work was evident to others. For Your glory, I ask these things this morning. In Jesus name, amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment