Monday, June 14: 2Samuel 8-Priorities. a lesson in leadership

Priorities… personally, everyone of us are bombarded with a myriad of potential priorities. We can see ourselves and our welfare as the priority. Family could be our priority, and so on.

Those who lead face many, often competing, priorities. The corporate bottom line, the shareholders, personal interests, short term yield or long term growth, to name a few.

Political leaders must navigate competing priorities as well. Consider US politicians, who increasingly must weigh political party priorities; lobbyists interests; big donor interests; state, local and national interests; international concerns and, of course, the ubiquitous personal interests.

I found it fascinating, and frankly refreshing, that David, who faced and navigated many of the same priorities and concerns that politicians of today face, governed for the people’s welfare. At least that is what verse 15 says: David reigned over all Israel, doing what was just and right for all his people. David did what was right for ALL HIS PEOPLE.

I thought about those last 3 words… He led for the benefit of ALL people. I am sure he faced pressure to govern, so his clan- Judah- benefited.  But David apparently resisted this and sought the good of all Israel. It was a noble effort by a quality leader. He could have governed in such a way that he lined his pockets but that too was not his priority. All Israel was his priority.

I also noticed the word HIS… my sense in reading this is that ‘HIS’ didn’t imply possession, as if all people belonged to him, as in he ‘owned’ them. But rather ‘his’ was a relational ‘his.’ He treated all the people as if they were his kin. David governed as if he were the patriarch looking out for all his family… another noble leadership quality.

This caused me to begin thinking about my leadership. Do I lead as pastor for all people or a select few? Do I care for all people in my church family as if they were family?

Priorities… affect decisions.

What are your priorities and are they as noble as King David’s?

Lord, help me to lead like David for the sake of all you place in my care… family, church, and all my circles of relationships. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment