Tuesday, June 15: 2Samuel 9-Kindness to an old friend.

Today’s reading is about how David, once established, searched out descendants of his best friend Jonathan in order to honor and care for them. David found Mephibosheth, Jonathan’s son, and set him up as family heir, giving him all this family property plus bringing him to Jerusalem to eat at the King’s table for life. David went above and beyond in providing for his best friend’s family.

Where the Lord led me in my meditations was to long-time friends and what gifts these people have been and are. Even after David settled into his new life, established his kingdom and began living his new life, years went by, David continued, apparently, to remember with fondness his friend Jonathan, who has been dead for years.

What an example this is to me about nurturing friends across the decades. Having moved, as I have every 5 to 8 years over the course of my adult life, I have friends in various areas around the US. It is easy for me to establish new friends in new places and let older friends fade. David’s actions remind me about the gift of those ‘special’ friends and encourages me to not let those relationships fade.  Instead, I am to nurture them even though time and distance add complicating factors to the friendships…

Today I will contact some… just to stoke the fire of old friendships!

Lord, thank you for the many friendships along life’s path. These people have been gifts from you. Usually men have encouraged me when down, called me to account when I was out of order, laughed, and chatted and teased and played and been serious and prayed and taught and loved me along the twists and turns of life. Thank you for them!!! Thank you for the gift they were and are…

Lord, bless those who still live this side of eternity and say ‘hello.’  Also thanks to those who are living with You in glory.

And, Jesus, thank You for your on going friendship and love.  Wow what a gift from the Lord of Glory of heaven and earth… in Your name Jesus I pray. Amen.

 

PS following my prayer time I wrote a letter to a friend from many years ago. The Lord brought this couple to mind and I thought maybe it is a prompting from the Lord. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I recalled some of the ways they loved on me and my family…

Lord, I pray that my note brings life and joy to my friends…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment