Saturday, June 5: 2Samuel 1-Free to mourn.

Amazing, simply amazing! David mourns publically and deeply for the one who hunted him much of his adult life.

30+ years ago I heard a lecture by a Ugandan Anglican Bishop Festo Kivengere who wrote the book, I love Idi Amin. Bishop Kivengere grew up and personally felt the atrocities of the Idi Amin tyrannical regime. The book’s subtitle is poignant: The Story of Triumph under Fire in the Midst of Suffering and Persecution in Uganda. What a lecture, what a man! He really meant the title of his book. By the grace of God and the radical redeeming work of Jesus and the Spirit in his life, Festo moved from bitterness and anger to Christian love for this despotic leader. It was a compelling lecture, noted by the fact that I remember it 30+ years later.

Festo Kivengere apparently learned similar lessons as David did. Running from Saul for his life for years, David upon hearing the news of Saul’s death, mourns for Saul, God’s anointed king. Your glory, O Israel, lies slain on your heights. How the mighty have fallen! (19)

Additionally, David teaches his song of lament to all his men and to the people of Judah. People related to David with no love for Saul!

Some how, some way, the radical redeeming love and grace of God got a hold of David’s heart and turned natural bitterness into respect and love… and tears flowed (12) and a song seeped into his heart. David was free to mourn for his enemy Saul.

Lord God, I desire that radical redeeming work in my life. Lord, I pray for grace to change those pockets of hatred, disgust or dislike that I have into true care and dare I pray, love. Jesus, this is impossible on my own and in my own strength. It is only possible through the work of the Holy Spirit deep within my life. I invite that work. I pray for that work to be done in my life in all areas that you see need that work! In Jesus name, amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment